the dos of website design
When designing a website you should:
- use web safe colors so that everyone sees the design you intended
- test your pages in as many browsers as possible before publishing - IE 5.5, Netscape 7, AOL 8, Opera 7
- place navigation either along the left side of your pages or along the top and then again in text along the bottom of the page, on every page, so that visitors don't get lost, and frustrated
- add a site map to your site, even if the site is only 5 pages
- fill your pages with interesting text, not just graphics - and use alt text with all graphics
the don'ts of website design
When designing a website you shouldn't:
- allow your page to be so wide that a visitor has to scroll back and forth to see it - know what your constituency is using for technology
- use a spash page as your home page. A flash opening is fun, but search engines don't like them and viewers want to know what the site is about first before being entertained
- put music on your site that can't easily and quickly be turned off - or put music on your site period, unless your site downloads music for sale.
- stray from your mission - keep your information and graphics about the topic of your website, i.e. if you are selling candles, you don't need a link to the local weather.
- make finding contact information such as a phone number or email address difficult, best to put this information on every page
Follow these links, using them as a resource for more information about website design and the like.
General Website Design
Web Page Design for Designers
On Line Web Design Training and Certification
HTML Writers Guild
Jakob Nielsen's Website
Network Support & Administration | Computer Repairs | Wireless & Wired Networks
If you are located in the mid-Atlantic region and are having computer problems, whether you are in the home environment or a small business - call ITPC Consulting for assistance. They have fair prices and can tell you right away how they can help you.
Reach Joe Frisco at 610.587.3965 or Mike Maturo at 610.659.4230.